Friday, May 02, 2014

MAY


"Its May, its May the merry month of May".  And it couldn't come soon enough for me.  Does this mean we've seen the last of the snow for awhile?  I sure hope so.  Our arborvitae standing guard to protect us from the south wind and to help with a little privacy.  They sure are getting big.



I took this picture of our azalea this morning in the wind.  So nice to see them again.


And it wouldn't be spring without our good old crocked tree coming out.  The branches are so great for flower arrangements.


Mindless knitting.  Another circular scarf in a wool blend.


I found this turban pattern at Raverly "Twistin the Night Away"  It works up so easy and sure is cute.


Something I haven't made in a long time, Carrot Cake.  I haven't been doing a lot of baking lately since Bill and I are the only ones around we end up eating the whole thing.  The platter the cake is on is the same as the picture and bowl.  Bill bought me a set of  very yellow dishes from Sears well over 35 years ago and I'm still using them from time to time.  Problem is they are very heavy and very large.

Cake:

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups grated carrots
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Beat eggs.  Add sugar and beat until well blended.  Add oil and all other dry ingredients; beat until mixed.  Last add carrots and walnuts.

Grease and flour a "bundt" pan and pour cake batter into it.  Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 50 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out dry.

Frosting

8 oz softened cream cheese
1/4 lb (1 stick)butter
6 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Mix cream cheese and butter, add sugar and vanilla.  Beat until smooth.  Frost cooled cake.

2 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

T h e brownstone are beautiful! Good job on the turban!

Sandra Knapp said...

I wish I could brag about blooming plants here, but so far, it's Daffodils only. The Lilac bushes and other small shrubs have just the very beginnings of their leaf buds opening, but no full sized leaves just yet. A very bleak beginning to May here in Northeast PA. Usually I've mowed the lawn 2 or 3 times by now. So far, not at all this year, but with all the rain we've had, I'm sure it will be soon. Still, much later than usual. Oh well, maybe that means less spent on gas for this Summer. LOL

The scarf and turban look great!