Monday, October 06, 2014

OUTLANDER


These are some of the shrugs I knit inspired by the Outlander series on Starz.  I've read all the books and loved every one of them.  Claire wore shrugs in a couple of the episodes.  This one is made with a light weight wool blend.  As you can see its simply so many stitches cast one (wish I could remember how many) but that would depend on just how big a person is.At some point I tried it on and when it was long enough to fit me I cast off and sew the sleeves up to my under arms.


This one is knit with a very thick yarn on size 35 needles.  I know I cast on 25 stitches and again knit until it fit me.  Cast off and sew up to my under arms.


I knit this one with my hand spun bulky yarn and size 10 1/2 needles.  I cast on 36 stitches and knit a knit 1 purl 1 rib for 2 inches.  The I started increasing by knitting in the back and front of both the first and last stitches every 6th row until I had 52 stitches.  I then knit for another 22 inches and started decreasing the same way I increased ending with 36 stitches and knit 1 purl 1 ribbing for 2 inches.  Bind off and weave in ends.  Simple.  Also I have to admit I don't know if to many people wear these now but I was in my studio typing this with my ceiling fan on and not heat and it felt so warm on my shoulders.
Check my Raverly page at blofspinner for instructions.  Just click on the picture.


Along with the series Claire wore many other wonderful knit garments as did the other's in the cast.  This is call "The Renters Shawl" for the episode she was helping collect the rents.

3 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Very pretty! I haven't read any of the series but it does sound intriguing!

Sandra Knapp said...

Every one of them looks cozy and warm, and lovely. I bet you had fun making them too. Very nice work.

Loree Jackson said...

Size 35 needles!? I didn't even know there were needles that big. See, I learned something. The shrugs look very cozy :)